Thursday, September 18, 2008

Im Alive!

Well that was the worst experience of my life... Friday we went to my sister's to stay since she is farther inland than us. The wind was already blowing decently hard around 1pm or so. It got worse and worse throughout the day and eventually our power went out at 930pm.

So we lit candles and decided to try and lay down. I was able to sleep on and off for a little bit but the wind just kept getting harder and harder and it was really freaky. It sounded like someone was trying to break into the door. We didn't have the door locked and the wind actually blew the door open once. The rain was coming down sideways so it was coming under the thresh-hold and getting the floor all wet.

The eye of the hurricane hit the coast at 2:10am with 110MPH winds... 1MPH from being considered a cat 3. My house is only miles from the coast and I had no idea what to expect when getting home. It is estimated that my sister's house, which is farther inland, was receiving 80-90MPH winds.

We made it through the night and went home at about 11am the next morning... it was still raining some and still windy. We got home to find our house still standing... THANK GOD... but the tree in our front yard had snapped in half and fell over on another tree. In our backyard our whole fence was down on one side... the posts actually broke in half... and the fence on the other side of the yard is leaning. The door to our shed was ripped open and completely broken and a tree fell on the shed. We did not lose one shingle... CRAZY. All the houses around us lost shingles some lost almost their entire roof.

While it definitely sucks... as we have a couple thousand dollars worth of damage... I feel very lucky that our house got as little damage as it did... neighborhoods just minutes from mine got water all in their house and everything they owned was destroyed.

We talked with our neighbors who told us that the eye of the storm passed over our house at about 2:45 am... how crazy is that... it would have been cool to experience but Im just glad everyone is safe and sound.

Sunday morning we got another 6 inches of rain on top of what the hurricane already dropped on us and it made a lot more people's homes flood... talk about add insult to injury.

We did not get power back until 9pm last night... so that is 5 full days without power... it was HORRIBLE. The first 3 days were really bad because as your probably know... Texas weather is HOT and HUMID. But we were blessed with a cold front that made things manageable. Regardless... it was hard to live without a/c, lights, a stove or oven, or ANYTHING for 5 days... especially being pregnant. All of our food in our fridge and freezer went bad so we have to start all over with that too. It was hard to find me a meal because of me having Celiac and not being able to eat most things. It is STILL going to be hard as there are still so many without power and grocery stores mainly only have non-perishable items since they too had to throw everything out. The wait for gas was about 1 hour sitting in line.

SOOOO many people lost EVERYTHING... please keep them in your prayers. I will update with some pictures later.

5 comments:

ssbean said...

Thank you for updating. I was getting worried about how you were doing. Glad to hear that your house is still standing and that you didn't have as much damage as you could have. Sorry you are having the dilemma you are with the food, and lack of thereof. Hang in there. It's so wonderful to hear that you are okay.

Christina said...

I'm glad you guys made it through the storm okay!

Miss X said...

I'm so glad you are alive! I can't believe your house is standing and in good shape. God was watching out for you!

My mom is Celiac and I thought I was, too. Test came back negative but I think I do better GF. I know how hard it is to stick to the GF diet...can't imagine adding pregnancy, natural disaster & no electricity to that!

nancy said...

Holy Moly! Glad you made it through!

Morgan Owens said...

YAY you are almost in the double digits..congrats!