My dad passed away about 4.5 years ago from lung cancer, it was very sudden, we had only found out 4 months before that he had cancer. It was very hard on all of us.
At the time I was still living at home. Shortly after, I met Chad, and we moved in together... it had been a little over a year since my dad died. This left my mom alone in the house. She was very sad and lonely at times... but we were very close. Talked every day saw each other every week and always did things together.
Then November of 06 she met a guy... he was ok... kinda jerky but "fun" for her. He was the first guy she starting dating since my dad had passed. I was happy that she found someone to spend her time with but not prepared for what was about to happen. Within 3 weeks he was living in her house with her and within 4 months they had gone to to JP and married. ~A little fast dont-cha think?~
As soon as she met him she stopped talking to me as much and stopped spending time with me... which I understood at first... a new relationship... everyone kinda does that right? Well... its been almost 2 years now and I still never see my mom. She has done a COMPLETE 180 in the way she used to be. She is no longer ~my~ mom. He treats her like crap... he makes NO money and pays NONE of the bills... he just lives in her PAID OFF house rent/utility free... since being married they have bought a boat, 4-wheeler, him a new truck, and an RV ALL under HER credit and she pays ALL the bills. Can you say taking advantage of? But hey... he is ~fun~ to be around... yeah if you call fun being drunk all the time.
So if this wasn't bad enough... when we started TTC July of last year my mom made it clear that she wasn't ready to be a grandma again... she already has 6 grandchildren and of course does not have time to spend with them anymore because she wont leave her husbands side. The first few months when I didn't get pregnant she actually said "good". I was like WOW thanks mom.
Now that I am pregnant, she has pretty much wanted nothing to do with my pregnancy. Sure we talk about it every once in a while, but she just doesn't have "time" for me anymore... she is too busy with her husband. She only wants to be part of it when it is convienent for HER... like with our big u/s... she wanted to come because we were going to find out the gender... but she hasn't cared about any of my other appointments or anything... she just wanted to be there for the "exciting" one. I told her no.
Then when I told her it was a boy she says "Oh, I was hoping it was a girl". TOO BAD.
So we were at her house yesterday for my nephews birthday and she mentions that she has two coupons for BRU for 15% off. She says maybe we can go tomorrow cause they are about to expire. I was like WOW she actually wants to do something with me?? I was all excited... so today I call her and she tells me that her husband is getting off early today so she wants to be home when he gets off. WHAT?? So pretty much the only reason she was going to go was because he was working and now that he isn't she has to be home for him... GIMME A FREAKING BREAK!!!
UGH... I am just SO through with her. I have tried to be civil through all of this and I have ~tried~ to keep her included in my pregnancy some... but not anymore. I just keep getting hurt over and over by her and I don't know what else to do. I try to talk to her about it but she just blows it off like it is nothing. She just doesn't see how much she has changed. She was never a drinker before and now that is all she ever wants to do cause thats what HE does.
I really miss ~my~ mom and wish I could get her back. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that is going to happen... I feel sorry for my son who will never really know his MeeMaw because she doesn't have time for him. It's hard enough knowing my dad will never meet him but now that my mom will not be a very big part of his life either really kills me.
Oh and she wants my child to call her husband grandpa... HA... over my dead body.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Sorry you're having a hard time dealing with your mom. I have to deal with a difficult mother a lot but for yours to not want anything to do with you during your pregnancy must be tough. Hope things get better.
Aww Sam, I have to sincerely tell you I'm so sorry your going through that with your mom, I have so much to say on the topic but I'll try to keep it short.
I have learned a lot about co-dependency and alcoholism, My mom is the co-dependant and the martyr, and the truth is, whether the co-dependant or the alcoholic (which they attract each other and make very sick couples) they still hurt the people they love even if those people are stable and healthy.
My parents got divorced a little over 8 years ago, It was sucha good thing, but I thought it was becasue my dad was the bad guy, when they divorced, I had to get to know both my parents on a different level and I realized my dad is not all hat bad, and my mom is not all that good.
My mom met her current husband and was engaged 4 months after meeting.
I thought I'd like him too, but he is a recovering alcoholic (but an ass all the same) and It's just been a continuing nightmare, as the years pass, my relationship with my mom, who used to be my favorite and best friend, has diminished and been destroyed due to the thought's and beliefs he puts in her head about other people "Your kids are taking advantage of you" bla-bla-bla, No he's just possessive-obsessive and extremely insecure, He cant stand my mom giving us attention.
Now my relationship with my mom is a like 4 or 5 times a year.
And regardless if she is sick, in a sick relationship, or if its really her choice, it still hurts all the same.
I miss my mom.
It was her birthday last Thursday,
I passed my baby on Tuesday.
My mom didn’t even know until Friday and I have to mail her her Birthday Present because I'm not welcome in their home.
So my heart goes out to you.
She is a grown up and can make her own decisions, but it sucks knowing that and they make decisions that are so unbalanced and hurtful. Like they cant have the best of both relationships, it's either one or the other, Him or us.
This ended up longer than I planned but I'm sending you ~hugs~
One thing my Best friend has influenced me on when her mom died and she completely lost her relationship with her dad is that she decided she will be the mom (or parent) that she wishes her living parent will be. And she is amazing. She says "I'm the mom now, I have the kids, I will have the Christmas parties, Thanks giving, I will be the memory Creator and just spend that time with my kids"
So hard, and It doesn’t take the pain away of missing your mom and what it is like.
My councilor (Yes this is obviously a big issue with me) told me that I have to let go of my dream of what I want with my mom, and accept what is, and build a new relationship on what the truth is now.
~Zillion Hugs~
Wow, I had no idea this was going on- well prolly because it's none of my business- but you know I'm always here to vent too. I can't always give advice b/c sometimes I don't know what to say, but I find it amazing how much I can relate to your story about your sister (from awhile ago) and your mom (except mine is w/ my dad). I am NOT taking her side because i honestly think it's pathetic how she has been towards you, but I think more of it has to do with your dad than you realize. He, as in the new b/f, was the first one to come along and get her mind off of your dad and she jumped all over it. I think she may be so blind that she looks past his faults, in fear of loosing him like she lost your dad. Either way, it is so unfair that she has been that distant to you...and I think it's sad she blew you off because he "got off early"...I would have thought of something better than that. When life gets me down, I just think that all that matters is me Kevin and this unborn baby. So when your mom upsets you...just think- "ok I have a great husband and a wonderufl little boy on the way, so that makes everything ok...all that matters is them". Sometimes you have to talk to yourself...it sounds crazy but it works. I know she hasn't had much to do with this pregnancy but in the end, all that matters is Chad and Cody right? :) I hope things get better regardless and I'm always here to talk too!! And congrats on feeling little Cody Lee moving so much...isn't it amazing!?!?
Wow. In going through my blogroll today, I've seen a couple of these types of messages. I'm so sorry. ~hugs~
Post a Comment